
История
On a hill above Saint-Germain-en-Laye stands a long 17th-century building that began as a royal hospital, founded by Madame de Montespan, a mistress of Louis XIV, to care for the poor. In 1914 the painter Maurice Denis bought it, renamed it Le Prieuré, the priory, and made it his family home and studio.
Denis was one of the Nabis, the group of young painters who carried Gauguin's flat, glowing color into the 1890s, and this museum, in his old house and gardens, holds the fullest collection of their work: Denis himself, plus Bonnard, Vuillard, Sérusier and Gauguin. The rooms are hung as an intimate house rather than a gallery.
In the grounds Denis kept a chapel, which he decorated over years with stained glass and murals with the architect Auguste Perret, a memorial to his first wife. It is still there, part of the visit, a private shrine built by the painter who lived on the site.
