
The story
Two sisters from Baltimore, Claribel and Etta Cone, spent the early 20th century buying pictures most of their neighbours found baffling. They knew Gertrude Stein in Paris, visited Matisse in his studio, and came home with hundreds of his works. When Etta died in 1949 the Cone Collection went to the Baltimore Museum of Art, which now holds one of the world's great concentrations of Henri Matisse.
The museum itself dates from 1914 and moved in 1929 into a restrained classical building by John Russell Pope, the architect who would later design the Jefferson Memorial in Washington.
There are two sculpture gardens outside and, like its neighbour the Walters, the museum has been free to enter since 2006.
Collection
13 works
Blue NudeHenri Matisse, 1907
On the Shore of the SeinePierre-Auguste Renoir, 1879
Mountains Mont Sainte-Victoire Seen from the Bibémus QuarryPaul Cézanne, 1898
Portrait of Emilia Pia da MontefeltroRaphael, 1504
The Player SchnekludPaul Gauguin, 1894
Woman of the MangoPaul Gauguin, 1892
Madonna Adoring the Child with Five AngelsSandro Botticelli, 1480
Landscape with Trees and FiguresVincent van Gogh, 1889
Pink NudeHenri Matisse, 1935
Portrait of Dorothea BerckFrans Hals, 1644
Portrait of Pierre ReverdyAmedeo Modigliani, 1915
Purple Robe and AnemonesHenri Matisse, 1937
Seated Odalisque, Left Knee Bent, Ornamental Background and CheckerboardHenri Matisse, 1928